LEGH VALE PRIMARY SCHOOL
LEARNING TO READ THROUGH PHONICS
Information for parents
We use the highly successful Read Write Inc. Phonics
Ruth Miskin Training
- Raise standards in reading and writing for our children
- Are all expertly trained by Ruth Miskin Training – including our headteacher (
- Gain the latest
programmeupdates through regular visits from our Ruth Miskin trainer
- Support our most vulnerable readers with extra one-to-one teaching every day.
What is phonics?
Phonics is a way of teaching children to read quickly and skilfully. They are taught how to:
Recognisethe sounds that each individual letter makes;
- Identify the sounds that different combinations of letters make – such as ‘sh’ or ‘oo’, and
- Blend these sounds together from left to right to make a word.
Children can then use this knowledge to ‘de-code’ new words that they hear or see. This is the first important step in learning to read.
Research shows that when phonics is taught in a structured way – starting with the easiest sounds and progressing through to the most complex – it is the most effective way of teaching young children to read. It is particularly helpful for children aged 5 – 7.
Almost all children who receive
Children who have been taught phonics also tend to read more accurately than those taught using other methods, such as ‘look and say’. This includes children who find learning to read difficult, for
If you would like to find out more about phonics, visit –
www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/pedagogy/phonics or search for ‘phonics’ on the Department